Location: Bend, Oregon
Internal Number: R1014390
ST. CHARLES HEALTH SYSTEM
TITLE: SCMG Physician - Hospitalist
REPORTS TO POSITION: SCMG Clinical Division Director, Hospital Medicine
DEPARTMENT: SCMG Hospitalist Program
DATE LAST REVIEWED: March 19th, 2021
OUR VISION: Creating America's healthiest community, together
OUR MISSION: In the spirit of love and compassion, better health, better care, better value
OUR VALUES: Accountability, Caring and Teamwork
DEPARTMENTAL SUMMARY: The SCMG Hospitalist Program providers address the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of hospitalized patients who have been referred from the community primary care doctors, emergency room doctors, or other physicians in the hospital.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Hospitalist Physician (day/swing shift) provides medical care as the attending of record for adult inpatients (minimum age 18) presenting with primary internal medicine pathology and provides their services twenty-four (24) hours daily all days of the year. The Hospitalist Physician responds to admission requests and assumes care at such time that patients are transferred out of the Emergency Department or directly admitted from an outside facility as specified by each SCHS hospital's medical staff bylaws.
- Work schedule: Shifts are generally ten to eleven (10-11) hours in duration and Physician will work a minimum of 172 annual shifts. Option of 7 day rotation schedule or option of flex scheduling.
- Call expectation: Back-up call during high census times may be requested.
- Work location: The Physician will be rotating between Bend and Redmond Hospital for coverage needs. Other outreach locations may be added as patient and business needs dictate.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES: (May perform additional duties of similar complexity within SCHS as required or assigned)
- Provide 24-hour coverage of all Medicine patients on the Bend campus, both in an admitting role as well as a consultative role, in accordance with existing Co-Management Agreements.
- Provide 24-hour coverage of all Medicine and Critical Care patients at the Redmond campus, both in an admitting as well as consultative role, in accordance with existing Co-Management Agreements.
- When requested by the primary service, serve as a Consultant for all inpatient psychiatric patients in PES or Sageview.
- If medically complex, serve as a Consultant for patients in Inpatient Rehabilitation.
- Share in equitable distribution of work between all hospitalist physicians on shift.
- Maintain credentialing and privileges to perform critical care procedures, and ability to rotate through the St. Charles-Redmond hospital on an equitable basis with others in the position.
- Maintain familiarity with the SCMG organization structure, communication systems, billing process, and completing billing and coding documentation within time assigned by SCMG administration.
- Obtain medical knowledge and current skills through regular continuing medical education (CME) activity.
- Abide by all medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations.
- Share information both when requested and when anticipating someone might have a need.
- Maintain punctual presence for assigned work days, in compliance with the SCHS policy on attendance
- Keep medical knowledge and skills current through regular CME activity. To attest to having obtained 60 hours of Category 1 continuing medical education (CME) relevant to the practitioner's current medical practice over the prior two-year period.
- Participation in Rapid Response Supervision may be requested from time to time.
- Document all patient care within the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and complete all necessary tasks in compliance with health system policies and regulatory agencies to ensure timely and accurate billing.
- Be familiar with the SCHS organization structure.
- Participate in SCMG meetings and assist in policy formation for SCMG and Physician's practice.
- Keep medical knowledge and skills current through regular CME activity. Must attest to having adequate (CME) to meet maintenance of board certification and compliance with MSO rules and continuing privileges without restriction.
- Keep all licenses and appropriate certifications current and unrestricted.
- Maintain active privileges at a St. Charles Health System hospital sufficient to permit performance of job duties.
- Participates in creating a healing environment that supports all aspects of the care environment and the wholeness of each individual, patient and caregiver.
- Provides and maintains a safe environment for caregivers, patients and guests. Conducts all activities with the highest standards of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Delivers first-rate customer service and/or patient care in a manner that promotes goodwill, and is timely, efficient and accurate, and courteous.
- Educates, counsels, and assists patients and families regarding current health problems, health maintenance activities and preventive behaviors.
- Provide a therapeutic presence in service to others by purposefully responding to the needs of patients/customers in a caring way.
- This includes introducing oneself and stating your purpose, asking the patient their preferred name, spending time with the patient to determine their care goals, active listening, and using skillful communications (appropriate touch, eye contact, etc.).
- Complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures, supporting the health system's corporate integrity efforts by acting in an ethical and appropriate manner, reporting known or suspected violations of applicable rules, and cooperating fully with all health system's investigations and proceedings.
- Graduation from an accredited medical school.
- Successful completion of an accredited residency program in Internal Medicine/Family Medicine.
- Successful completion of an accredited residency program in Internal Medicine/Medicine.
- Oregon license as MD/DO
- Board certified or eligible in Internal Medicine/Family Medicine. To be board certified or qualified to sit for the boards in primary area of practice at the Hospital. Those applicants who are not board certified at the time of application but who have completed their residency or fellowship training are required to become board certified within seven years of residency or fellowship training.
- Valid driver's license and the ability to meet SCHS driving requirements.
- Maintain unrestricted DEA number.
- Maintain unrestricted ability to participate in Medicare / Medicaid, or other federal or state governmental health care programs.
- Current BLS and ACLS certification required.
- Board certified in Internal Medicine/Family Medicine
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills to effectively interact with a diverse population and professionally represent St. Charles Health System
- Experience working in a team environment and proven ability to collaborate, manage facilitation and consensus building among health care professionals and agencies to achieve expected results
- Epic EMR software experience
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
- Must be able to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required to perform the job safely.
- Must have excellent communication skills and ability to interact with a diverse population and professionally represent SCHS.
- Strong team working and collaborative skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills, written and oral communication and customer service skills, particularly in dealing with stressful personal interactions.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Electronic Medical Record systems.
- Intermediate in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel).
Continually (75% or more)
- Standing & Walking
- Keyboard Operation
- Using a Clear and Audible Speaking Voice
- Hearing at Normal Speech Levels.
- Lifting, Carrying & Pushing / Pulling up to 25 lbs.
- Bending, Stooping, Kneeling, Crouching
- Lifting, Carrying & Pushing / Pulling 25lbs. to 50 lbs.
- Grasping / Squeezing
- Hearing at Whispered Speech Levels
- Climbing Stairs
- Exposure to Wet / Slippery areas
- Exposure to Chemical Solutions
**Nothing in this job description is intended, nor shall be interpreted, as a grant or approval of medical staff membership or clinical privileges. By law and applicable accreditation standards, medical staff membership and clinical privileges can be granted or approved only by a hospital's medical staff and governing body. Employment processes and requirements, which are governed primarily by the human resources policies of St. Charles, are separate and distinct from medical staff membership and clinical privileging processes and requirements, which are governed primarily by the bylaws and policies of the hospital medical staff. Accordingly, employed physicians and providers of St. Charles are required at all relevant times not only to satisfy the requirements and perform the duties set forth in this job description, but, also, to satisfy the requirements and perform the duties for obtaining and maintain appropriate medical staff membership and clinical privileges.
Schedule Weekly Hours:
Is Exempt Position?
Scheduled Days of the Week:
Shift Start & End Time: