The future is full of possibilities. At Banner Health, we're excited about what the future holds for health care. That's why we're changing the industry to make the experience the best it can be. Our team has come together with the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. The future of health care starts here. If you're ready to change lives, we want to hear from you. Apply today.
Help save patients' lives one phone call at a time! At Banner Health Transfer Services, we receive transfers from referring facilities throughout Arizona (and beyond) and our job is to safely place those patients within the Banner Health system. Our 24/7 transfer center is an integral component of Banner Health and we are currently growing and expanding our services. As an RN Clinical Referral Navigator , you will be responsible for utilizing multiple software platforms, designed to meet the specific communication and documentation needs for any type of transfer. You will also gain an in-depth understanding of the services available at each Banner facility, allowing for proper placement of patients within our system.
Not all heroes wear scrubs. As an RN Clinical Referral Navigator you will have an important role within the Banner Health system, providing clinical oversight to the transfer process. The RN collects critical information from the referring provider, secures accepting doctors, and determines the appropriate placement site to assure utmost patient safety and timeliness. Clinical oversight is critical to appropriately triage patients and to partner with the hospital operational staff to ensure that the patients arrive to the correct level of care. If caring is your superpower and you enjoy talking on the phone, this role is your calling; be sure to answer it and apply today! Opportunity to work 3x12-hour shifts, 12p-12a . Previous experience in clinical transfers, ED, ICU or Case Management preferred, but not required.
If you are a New Graduate with less than 12 months of experience, please visit the main job search page and under the Job Type filter, select New Nurse Experience.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides comprehensive care coordination for patients as assigned, including initiation and coordination of incoming and outgoing transfers for higher/lower level of care and/or specialized treatment modalities from outreach or network entities. This position secures required specialists and/or following physicians, assessment and triage for appropriate level of care, financial assessment and referral. This position also carries out market strategies to obtain referral of clients from third part payers and physicians in liaison role.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Evaluates the medical necessity and appropriateness of care, optimizing patient outcomes. Assesses patient admissions and continued stay, utilizing standard criteria.
2. Coordinates patient placement among multiple outreach and network facilities for admissions and transfers. Coordinates safe patient transfers according to established operational processes and guidelines in place for all service lines at each facility. Alerts staff at appropriate entity/agency of incoming/outgoing patients, scheduling bed/services, performs clinical and financial screening of referred patients and coordinates transportation. Serves as a liaison with other departments, leaders and presiding physicians regarding process improvement opportunities for patient flow, patient transfers and efficacy of communication process.
3. Manages individual patients across the healthcare continuum to achieve the optimal clinical, financial, operational and satisfaction outcomes. Serves as a liaison for the continuum of care including preadmission, hospitalization and community follow-up, depending on work assignment.
4. Maintains process for assessing current referral patterns for selected target areas by identifying physician referral patterns, health related community events, established physician practices and major gatekeepers in outreach and network communities. Establishes and promotes collaborative relationships with physicians, payers and other members of the healthcare team, including non-Banner entities (vendor management). Seeks opportunities to increase the growth of business within the assigned communities, identifying and cultivating potential referral sources relevant to the population served.
5. Collects and communicates pertinent, timely information to payers and others to fulfill utilization and regulatory requirements. Provides outcome data with targeted audiences including physicians, medical case managers, rehabilitation professionals, insurance adjustors and industrial representatives.
6. Serves as a resource to other staff members and promotes a collegiality between staff physicians and leaders. Participates in interdisciplinary healthcare teams to facilitate the integration of managed care concepts within the daily practice standards. Acts as a consultant within the organization and in the community.
7. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
8. May supervise staff depending on work assignment.
9. This position has regional responsibility for placement and coordination of care for patients. Internal customers include all levels of nursing leadership and staff, medical staff and all other members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team. External customers may include patients and families, physicians, agency vendors and contracted services, staff from other health care agencies/providers and community/professional organizations and community and regulatory agencies.
Requires an active RN license in state of practice, temporary RN license in state of practice, or compact RN licensure for current state of practice.
Requires knowledge typically achieved with three years of experience in the care of the population served, as well as experience in clinical care operations, case management and/or patient throughput. Must have a working knowledge of hospital operations, medical/nursing staff procedures, hospital and community resources. Must demonstrate critical thinking, conflict resolution, time management, and problem-solving skills. Requires excellent communication skills and an ability to interact well across departments, facilities and organizations. Excellent organizational and human relations are required to maintain good rapport and effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
Bachelor's degree in nursing or healthcare related field preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.